Saturday, May 31, 2008

BaBeaver - Code Shell Hunter - Part 03

Photobucket Hi, there. Welcome to part 3 of BaBeaver – Code Shell Hunter. Following the previous 2 posts, I will continue on the early days of BaBeaver and Allo.
When developping the characters, I made several strips in French in a normal standard strip format. I took the dimensions of another strip that I like a lot, “Foxtrot” and just followed them as guidance. And it was OK. And it was all… 3 strips in colors, straight panel lines… no more…
Then they contacted me again to propose the daily strips to the free Metro Newspaper. Now, you need to imagine that there has been a time lapse of more than 8 months ( if memory serves well ) between the end of the freelance and this contact. In the meantime, I found a steady job, so I have to ask my supervisors if it was OK for me to do it. Luckily, they were fine with it. I sent them the equivalent of one week worth of strips, again in the standard format but all rough and off model, just to know their opinions on the ideas. I had to train myself to draw again those characters after so long. I was quite horrified when they sent them back in color, asking me to validate them before sending them to the newspaper! For them, it was apparently OK for the quality of the graphics as it was! Unfortunately, I didn’t have the chance and time to redraw every single strip in a more final version, as they didn’t have the time to do the colors on them anyway. So, the first time I got a comic strip published, it was actually some rough stuff that I was totally ashamed of. But, it was not all… To add to my frustration, the newspaper published the first strip normally, but for the second on they rearranged the format to make it enter into a square! I was told that it was due to the fact that it was more easy for them to sell some ad spaces around.
Starting the following week worth of comics, I decided to take more controls on the whole thing. I wanted something in the continuity of the very first 3 strips and it was something totally different. I started to work into the square dimension and very quickly I discovered that it was quite confortable to work with: it looked closer to a normal comics book page than a comic strip ( and accessorly, it looked like some pcoket Mickey Mouse or Pif Pocket monthly magazines that I read when I was younger! ). Also, on the graphics and the stories, I just sent them the final versions. I was quite free on the topics and never had any complains. That’s it for this time. Enjoy the 5 new strips at the bottom of the French version of this post. See you next post.

Photobucket Salut et bienvenue à la troisième partie des coulisses de BaBeaver – Code Shell Hunter.
En cours de développement des personnages, j’ai fait plusieurs gags en français au format strip américain en suivant les dimensions d’un strip que j’aime beaucoup, “Foxtrot”. Et c’était OK pour eux. Et ce fût tout… 3 gags couleurs avec les contours de cases tracés à la règle… pas plus… Et puis ils m’ont recontacté pour me faire la proposition des strips quotidiens pour le journal du métro de Hong Kong. Maintenant, il faut se rappeller que je n’avais pas touché aux personnages pendant de très nombreux mois ( 8 si je me rappelle bien! ) et il a fallu que je ré-apprennes à les dessiner. Et il y avait aussi le fait que j’avais trouvé un emploi à temps plein dans une boite. Donc j’ai dû demander à mes superviseurs si c’était OK pour eux. Ils ont été sympas et m’ont donné leur accord.
J’ai envoyé à la société l’équivalent de strips en brouillon pour une semaine afin d’avoir leur opinion sur mes idées de gags. Je fût horrifié quand quelques jours plus tard, je les reçu en couleur ! Apparemment pour eux, la qualité de mes brouillons était suffisante pour être imprimés ! Malheureusement pour moi, je n’ai eu ni la chance, ni le temps de pouvoir en faire une version plus finalisée car ils n’avaient pas le temps d’en faire les couleurs. Donc, mes premiers gags parus furent un travail que je considérai comme bâclé, avec mon nom dessus!
Mais ce n’est pas tout! Pour ajouter à ma frustration, le journal publia mon brouillon de strip dans son format normal, en longueur pour le premier jour. Mais dès le lendemain, ils remanièrent les strips pour les faire entrer dans un format carré ! On e raconta plus tard que c’était plus facile pour vendre les encarts publicitaires aux alentours…
Dès la semaine suivante, je leur envoyait une version finalisée, plus qu’à mettre en couleur. Je travaillais aussi dans le format carré que j’appréciai de plus en plus car il ressemblait plus à un format de page de BD (et accessoirement me faisait penser à des Pif Poche ou autres Mickey poche aussi au format carré que je lisai étant plus jeune ! ). Je décidai enfin de leur envoyer les strips de la semaine sans leur demander leur avis sur les idées de gags. Je n’avais pas à me plaindre de se côté-là: j’avai beaucoup de libertés sur les histoires et pas de commentaires sur mes dessins !
Voilà, c’est tout pour cette fois-ci, vous pouvez lire la suite de la BD ci-dessous. Désolé que ce ne soit qu’en anglais. A bientôt au prochain billet.



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: